Thursday, March 22, 2007

LONG TIME GONE

So I’ve been in “camp” for the last 12 days. Well, they call it camp anyway, but really its just working away from home and staying in cheap motels with substandard kitchenettes. I’ve been to camp. Camp was fun. You got to sing songs around a fire at camp. There were girls at camp. Now, its just time away from home. Seriously, the word camp has greatly changed in my mind. When I was a kid (and a planter) it could mean sleeping in a tent. Now, it’s a motel, or a floating ATCO trailer on a barge.

So some stuff happened while I was gone. Some good, some bad. Change just occurs. You can’t stop it.

On the plus side, flowers are finally blooming in my new garden. I have a lovely crop of Crocuses and Squill, with many more plants just bursting at the buds. It’s not as far ahead as some gardens in Victoria, but it’s a vast improvement over naked black earth.

The wife repainted the living room while I was gone. Not that you could tell. It was yellow when I left, and its yellow now. But it’s a different (slightly) shade of yellow. And some pictures have been rearranged. I’m going to stop this line of inquiry before I get in trouble, although calling Kira “the wife” has probably already dug me a hole that I can’t get out of. Speaking of the wife, I’m finally going to visit her at her house in Victoria. Imagine having a wife and never having been to where she lives. It’s almost like some freaky mail order bride thing going on.

They also changed the time while I was gone. This means its now dark again when I get up. Hurray, like waking up that early isn’t bad enough when there’s some daylight. Thanks USA…thanks for everything. Thanks for a war in Iraq. Thanks for GMO food. Thanks for reality TV shows that give us insight into the problems that rich pop-star wives of famous soccer players have integrating into LA lifestyles. Thanks for over two liquid ounces of fat in a single burger. Thanks a lot.

Another thing that happened while I was gone was the massive recall of pet food. My dog eats food; fortunately, I haven’t been feeding her one of the tainted varieties. However, I did just discover that Kira did, in fact, purchase a can of one of the recalled varieties while I was gone. It’s not one of the recalled lots, but I think I’ll just chuck it anyway. The Bean needs her kidneys. She might have dodged a bullet there.

Also, apparently, while I was away, somebody elected Diamond Joe Quimby as the Mayor of Victoria. Citizens of Victoria, I now declare today Nelly Furtado Day. Spooky. Really freaking spooky.

Life goes on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spider Girl said...

Yeah, I'm glad you guys heard about the pet food recall--nasty..

Pook died of liver/kidney failure and it's not a good way to go.

As for the wife's (sorry Kira)job on the living-room--it looks nice. :)

Also, I've always wondered what a "camp" looked like. I see I haven't been missing much. The real camps are better, agreed, although do you remember the food at Moorecroft?

That was pretty traumatic.

6:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home