Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Becomming a Better Pirate

In this modern age that we live in, it's all about striving for greatness. With the recent fashion trends reviving the pirate look, I have found it important to brush up on my swordsmanship. After all, I don't quite have the good looks of Captain Jack Sparrow, although with practice, maybe I could kick his ass.

So with this goal in mind, I haul myself off to a local high school gymnasium every Thursday night at eight o'clock, to work on my fencing skills...and believe me, they need work. It could be true that I am to uncoordinated to be a successful pirate. I can never seem to get my feet right. Or, if I do get the footwork down, I get stabbed by my adversary because I was looking at my feet. Fencing is a skill that requires incredible wrist control..it's all in the wrist so to speak. I need to work on the wrists.

On the plus sides, there are some pretty cool aspects about fencing class.
Like the fact that for the mere cost of 2 dollars, I get to aim a sword at somebody's heart for an hour and a half.
Where else can you yell out the immortal word's "HELLO...MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA, YOU KILLED MY FATHER... PREPARE TO DIE", without it sounding forced.
It's also a pretty good workout. You get very hot in those protective suits, and your pulse is definitely elevated when your locked in mortal combat.

I've yet to best an opponent, but I have scored so nice blows that even Inigo would be proud of. Maybe I can still become the Dread Pirate Roberts at some later date...and after a little more practice.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Well...LA tee DA!
Fencing looks fun.
But in a un-chaperoned fight, a bad ass pirate with a flint lock could take you. (Provided it didn't jam or mis-fire, of course.)
Also?
Glad you're okay from your accident. I never even came CLOSE to killing you in my car!

8:02 p.m.  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Hey, when did you start fencing!? That's pretty cool!

To be honest, I tried it once and found it was hot (as you say)and difficult.

But I've watched it quite a lot (at my gym you look out over the fencing class sometimes) and at my friend's medieval events too---they are a rabidly ferocious lot, those SCA'ers, when it comes to hitting people with long pointy metal things.

I suspect I'd be one of those pirate, as Tai suggest, with a flint lock.

Oh wait, I'd probably suck at that too....well, good for you, brother anyway. :)

10:08 p.m.  
Blogger kimber said...

That looks great! I WANNA TRY!

Although, I suspect that with my raging carpal tunnel syndrome from years of typing, I'd make a terrible swordsman. And what with my jumpiness at loud bangs, I'd be terrible with a flintlock, so that's out. Hmmm. In a pirate fight, my options are limited.

Can pirates kick other pirate's shins? ARRRR! A shin-kicker! THAT BE ME!

10:56 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Adam, Ilove it! It takes me back to all the Pirate movies I went to as a child.I don't supposeyou've heard of The Crimson Pirate starring Burt Lancaster(one of the best and it still holds up today). Anyway fencing looks like wonderful exercise and great fun.Love Mom

6:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home