Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Called to the Front Lines

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. That awful phone call...the voice of doom. So after a mere three months of vacation, I must go to work tomorrow.
This happens every year, it just kind of blindsides me...the phone rings, and volia, no more sleeping in until 9:00. No more carefree afternoons twiddling me thumbs.
Seriously, I have been in a bit of a rut of late. It's a workplace hazard of the seasonally unemployed.
For instance, I spent one afternoon systematically testing my toasters to see which ones worked. I used very cheap white bread, and ended up with a fair pile of crouton making material.
There was a means to that particular madness, after all these years of having 80 some odd toasters, there was suddenly a demand for toasters amongst my friends. I actually had to select 2 perfectly functioning toasters, and part with them. One went to Kira's new place in Victoria (an apparently elegant old home in the James Bay area) and the other went to my friends Mike and Kara, whom recently re-did their kitchen (and bathroom, and living room, and dinning room...actually the whole house). They decided that their crappy 80's toaster (though perfectly functional) was in need of upgrading. I gave them a 1958 Sunbeam T35 fully automatic toaster (no levers to push). A real beauty that tioasts as well as the day it was made. I use a slightly newer (and custom painted model) of this toaster in my own kitchen, so I'm confident that it will give them years of toasty goodness (unless the baby thats on the way decides to stick something not toastable in it...or smear it with peanut buttery lip prints...kids are capable of anything).
Kira and her room mate received a rather early example of the GE T31C, a toaster that was produced from the 1950's through the 70's. While not the most rare of machines, it is a god one with clean lines.
Other endeavors included a damage evaluation of the freeriding mountain bike trail that I built with Mike a few years back. This trail involved several hundred hours of labour and the arrest of my dog (long story there), so I was anxious to see how it faired over the winter storm season. There was much destruction, and quite a few hours more of repair work is required. Of course, now that I'm going back to work, I won't have any time to do this. The assessment of my trail spawned a new axiom about trees falling in the woods when no one is around: "When a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around, it falls on something that took hours to build, and will be a major pain in the ass to clean up!"
Ironically, and with that in mind, I start work tomorrow with the specific purpose of assessing danger trees in cutblocks that will be planted next week. I am, as it happens, a fully qualified Danger Tree Assessor.


As an aside here, tomorrow marks one year to the day since I started this BLOG. I've made 53 posts on this Blog, that an average of one per week....through thick and thin. SO...YAY ME (who'd of thought I would have the tenacity to stick with it?).

post script: reviewing my blog entries, I also notice that this is the only post on Toasters of the Gods (since the first) that is in any way related to toasters, toasting, or toast...perhaps the name is a bit misleading...but I'm sticking with it because it's catchy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Wow, an actual toaster post!
(now get to work like the rest of us!)

2:06 p.m.  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Usually when people claim to have a "T35 fully automatic" I presume they're armed and dangerous.

Hmmm...and I would like to hear the story of your dog's arrest on your blog at some point. Oh yes, and more posts about toast.

7:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home