Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Perfectly Normal Weekend



Yep...a perfectly normal weekend. Back at home for a change...tackled some of the yard, and bought ourselves a new barbeque. Kira had the distinguished privilege of assembling the some assembly required. Apparently the drawers of schematic diagrams and writers of instruction manuals get paid bonuses to create misleading diagrams and non-sensical instructions. Some assembly means two hours of frustration and outbursts of foul language...minimum.
By some strange coincidence, when we visited our friends at their house, they had also just bought this same gas grill...same problems with assembly...so it's not just us.


We also tracked down some rings to use as wedding rings...strangely not by going to a jewellery store, but by stopping at a coffee shop. It was a last ditch effort at finding a wedding ring, but sometimes you have to be creative. The coffee, according to Kira, was also good. Actually, we did go to a bonafide jeweller, but their selection of boring and expensive bands of yellow metal didn't strike a chord (apparently the price of gold has shot through the roof in the last few months). So we took the road less travelled and headed over to the curiously named BatStar coffee shop and art gallery across the park from our house. They had some native carvings on the wall, but no jewellery on display. But we mentioned that we were looking for carved silver, and the lady behind the till said “like this you mean?” flashing a beautifully carved silver ring. So we ended up ordering a couple of custom carved silver rings at prices far lower than boring old gold bands. Not a bad twist of fate.

I also managed to get some work in on the yard. I put some edging around my new garden. Originally I was going to build a low wall around the thing…I of course got all the supplies to build said wall before realizing that building such a wall would obliterate any level viewing of my pond. So I have a pretty good surplus of concrete bricks. I’m sure I’ll find some use for them, maybe a random wall somewhere, dive the yard like cold war Germany or present day Israel. Or maybe I could chuck them through peoples windows with cryptic messages tied to them. For now, they are yet another pile of stuff, in amongst the growing numbers of piles of stuff that dot my yard. I may have to invest in a commercial property or vacant lot to store this stuff at some point.

So, all in all, a good old fashioned weekend….probably the last for the next little while as I’m back in motel land this Tuesday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Did you pick up the bbq from Ikea or something? They are notorious for being impossible to decipher.

(really like your zen garden by the way...glad there's no wall!)

12:10 p.m.  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

It may be just me, but your BBQ kinda looks like a UFO. :)

I'm glad you got unique rings. And silver is nicer than gold--especially at over $700 an ounce. apparently the metals market has broken through some sort of "psychological barrier" pricewise and the commodities brokers are freaking out over it. Best not to have to buy anything made of gold right now.

Also, I love the name of the coffeeshop.

My own wedding ring is indeed gold, but it was dirt cheap and its shaped like a Turkish puzzle ring. So I rather like it on both counts.

10:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home