Saturday, April 08, 2006

Another BC Ferry Disaster


Has enough time elapsed since the sinking of the Queen of the North to make fun of BC Ferries aging fleet? Probably not, but I've never been one to stand on ceremony.
Last Wednesday, after a long day of work, I raced to the Earls Cove ferry terminal, just in time to board the 4:25 sailing to Saltery Bay. Tourist season is heating up, and there were more cars in the line up than I've seen this year. The Ferry rounded the bend around Nelson Island, and then proceeded to sit 200 yards from the dock, for about 20 minutes...the crowd grew anxious...bordering on irritated. Slowly the word filtered down that the front doors on the ferry were stuck and that passengers would not be able to drive off. Then, without warning, the ferry pulled away, and did a sweeping turn, docking backwards. Everyone in the line realized that this meant that they were going to unload...backwards. I young man on a bicycle came off, pushing his bike backwards to cheers from the crowd, the a couple of Telus pickups, also driving of in reverse. Then it got interesting. There were a total of nine large semi-tractor trailers that had to negotiate the ramp. Do you have any idea how long it takes to back a vehicle of that size off of a boat? Well suffice to say that the ferry did not start boarding until 6:05, and pulled out at 6:20, a mere ten minutes before the scheduled 6:30 sailing.
People who use ferries regularly (like myself: 10 ferry rides in the last 5 days), and tourists alike (some who had never been on a ferry before), felt jubilant. A collective adversity overcome. They fixed those doors, and although two hours later than I had planned, I got to drive of facing forward on the other side, which was better than the alternative...they were going to back us on to the boat. I can only wonder how long the very large rental RV with the German driver would have taken.
As a consolation to those who were so long delayed, they did not charge for coffee...my salad was still full price. On the upshot, because I was still at work (technically) I got to bill some overtime for watching this spectacle, which I honestly can admit, was worth watching.
As for the picture above, remember, that huge truck is coming off.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

You do this for a LIVING!?!

I only ride on ferries when forced.

Like today.

And then I had to GARDEN.

12:41 a.m.  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Eeeee.....I'm not good at driving in reverse. :)

At least it was sort of an amusing ferry disaster. People are going to start to pay attention to the safety announcements though.

Our friend Pol's mom was on that sinking ferry---she was Chief Steward...she had some interesting stories to tell.

Note to ferry crew: wear pajamas to bed in case of sinking ship.

12:42 a.m.  
Blogger adman said...

When I went on that ferry, I just slept in all my clothes, but then again thats because I was to cheap to get a cabin....I wouldn't have survived the Titanic...they would have kept me below with the other undesireables.

8:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home