Friday, February 17, 2006

Old Friend Dies Violent Chainsaw Death



Sensationalism is the key to any headline. I am writing today to mourn the loss of a very old and dear friend...my 90-foot high Douglas-fir tree that until Friday February 17th, 2006, graced my front yard. The tree finally succumbed to multiple wounds inflicted by what can only be described as a "fricken huge mother of a chainsaw". The tree was suffering from a terminal illness, and in a plea to die with dignity, started dropping branches, needles and cones into my gutters the summer before last. These last acts, although messy, started the ball rolling for what would eventually lead to the euthanasia of this wonderous (but messy) tree. To put it simply, I put a contract out on it. To my fortune, enough of the tree was located on or near city property that they had it removed for me, which is a good thing as it costs thousands of dollars to have trees snuffed. I was also fortunate that the city also very recently installed a watermain along my front walk, clearly causing irreparable root damage, and precipitating the untimely death of the tree. Or this was my story when I called City Public Works...indignant taxpayer. They did not entirely buy my story..."trees don't die all that quickly ya know" ..says Jake the city Parks foreman ...but rather than fighting my willful wrath, they conceded some responsibility, and the rest is lying on the lawn...but not for long. The redneck dwellers of my town can smell a downed tree 50km's away...I wasn't home ten minutes before a pickup pulled up inquiring about the wood. I'm sure its gone. But I've been (and am still) away...hence the lag in posting this.
I feel conflicted...on the one hand the tree was a major pain in the arse...had to clean the gutters on that side of the house 4 times a year, and the branches it was dropping were huge and dangerous to my roof. On the other hand, losing 90 feet of skyline changes both the look and the ecosystem of ones yard. This corner never really saw sun, and the tree sort of hid the funny looking addition on top of my house...it just looks so naked now.
So I guess the moral of the story is that if your not sure about something, and it is slightly annoying or bothersome...have a disinterested third party kill it for you....Vroom.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

"Don't get mad, hire an assassin."

I believe that used to be on my business card waaaay back in grade 7.

hmmm. I guess I'll have to learn to wield a chainsaw!

10:24 a.m.  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Hee
Good advice!
Enjoy the sunshine:)

12:19 p.m.  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Ye gods!!! Keep Tai away from chainsaws.

My condolences on the loss of your vegetation...

4:46 p.m.  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Trees are terrible things to lose; though lose them one must at times. When I was a kid, there was this hugh, majestic maple tree next to our house that had to come down because termites got into it. I felt sad to see it go. It was almost like a member of the family.

7:31 p.m.  
Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

I'm so sorry you lost that big tree!! Are you going to plant something in her place now?

You might enjoy this poem to help cheer you up:

“Block” by Haden Carruth

This site has a lot of pop-ups, but you can read it here:
http://plagiarist.com/poetry/777/

7:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home