Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Great Lakes Move West (a Pictorial)

“All over the world, it’s the same….it is the same….strangers talk only about the weather” - Tom Waits “Strange Weather”

In what CTV dubbed the “Weather Bomb”, my quaint coastal town was pounded by torrential rain and hurricane force winds yesterday. Of course, I was conveniently out of town, so I give you this pictorial vicariously through the lens of my good amigo Mike’s camera. I would have rushed home to document this myself, but the highway was closed. Fortunately the complete lack of power to Port Alberni excused my absence from the dinner party I was supposed to be attending. (I got to eat the Butter Chicken at a much smaller affair this evening…and it was delicious)

These first 4 are of my yard and of some minor water damage in my basement, altogether lucky considering the proximity of my house to sea level and its location at the bottom of the hill. But the dykes held (so did the queers and the drag queens…but that’s a subject for a different blog).

These last pictures are of the flooded streets of Port Alberni. My friends (and twin brothers) Mike and John braved the ragging flood waters to get these photos, along with Johns four year old daughter (yes, they are the sort of people who chase disasters and danger, and will probably require rescuing at some future date) specifically for your viewing enjoyment.







2 Comments:

Blogger kimber said...

Glad to hear you're okay, and not too soggified. ;)

11:18 p.m.  
Blogger Tai said...

Um...holy CRAP!!!

Tell the Waters' brothers that they need not live up to their name for sensational picture taking.
The photojournalists who take that kind of picture get PAID to do so!
But I'm glad your house is still intact.
My uncle's wife won't leave P.A. 'cus she's afraid a tree will fall on her.
She might be right.

9:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home