Saturday, October 07, 2006

Global Warming: A Global Catastrophe, or, A Backyard Bonanza

This picture was taken on October 6th. Last year, I was getting ready to put this tropical beauty in the basement to protect it from the impending frost. Now I’m not saying that tropical plants should do so well in the coastal fall, but I’m not really going to complain about it either.

I’ve worn rain gear at work precisely twice in the last 4 months, although there was one day I did get really soaked. Those aren’t bad odds. Usually I have a coating of mould on my body by October. Sadly, the lack of rain has prevented the fish from coming upstream into the dyke waterway across the street. I have not seen a single bear in my yard this year. Oh, and the Chantrelle mushrooms are not out yet. Hopefully they will pop out this weekend if it gets moist.

On the other hand, Daturas in full bloom are real pretty (and they smell good too). These ones are at a hostel in Huay Xai. This photo was taken on November 28th, but of course, that is the middle of Lao summer. If they’re still blooming on my deck at Christmas, I’m going to get a little freaked out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Come on...you know there's no such thing as 'global warning'!

It's just something the hippies made up to freak us out.

Geeeez.

Next thing you'll be telling us is that PCB's are bad too.

8:10 p.m.  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

I think those flowers looked really great on your deck.

It's too bad people are trying to smoke them and end up loop-de-loop. Gives the poor flowers a bad rep!

11:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home